What is the best way to brew coffee?
If you love coffee, you likely have favourites. You may know what your favourite beans are and you may even have a favourite mug, but what about your favourite brewing method? There are many different ways to brew coffee, and each of those ways have their own advantages and disadvantages. Here are some things to consider when making your perfect cup of coffee!
A French press is a device used to make coffee that features a plunger. Water is poured over the coffee grinds and the plunger is pressed down, pushing the used grinds to the bottom and separating it from the coffee.
- A great way to make coffee on the go. You don’t need any special equipment or electricity; simply boil the water and pour it over the ground coffee.
- It’s fast; from the time you pour the water into the French press to the time you pour your coffee into your cup is only 4 minutes.
- The grind must be coarser, meaning you need more coffee per cup of water (we recommend 2 ½ spoons per cup when using a French press).
- Light roast coffees don’t do as well when brewed by French press; in order to get that robust coffee flavour, a darker roast is needed.
- Leaving the coffee in the press longer than 4 minutes won’t make a stronger cup of coffee, simply a more bitter one.
Verdict: The French Press makes a great cup of coffee, but there are a few key steps to take in order to get your perfect cup.
A stovetop espresso maker, also known as a moka pot, is similar to a French press in that you only need the moka pot itself rather than a machine. Unlike the French press, where you need to boil the water first, stovetop espresso boils the water in the same vessel as the coffee, passing the hot water through the grounds directly.
- Another great way to make coffee on the go. You can use it on camp stoves, so making great coffee while camping or hunting is possible!
- Because the coffee is in contact with the boiling water for longer than an espresso machine, there is more caffeine in your cup
- Coffee lovers know that crema makes a difference. When making espresso this way, you won’t get crema on top the way you do with an espresso machine.
- Moka pots are trickier to master than other brewing methods, with more steps needed to make the perfect cup of coffee.
Verdict: Making stovetop espresso can be tricky, but the results are delicious and highly caffeinated.
Filtered coffee is one of the most common ways of making coffee and can be one of the best, as long as you have the right machine!
- This is an easy way to make great coffee day-to-day. Like other methods, grind is important, but you can count on a consistent and delicious cup each time you make it.
- Some coffee makers do not have a reservoir, meaning cold water must be filled each time it is used. Because the machine must heat the water quickly and the initial temperature of your water will vary, it may not end up at the right temperature to make the best possible cup of coffee.
Verdict: Taking a bit of time to find a good-quality coffee maker makes all the difference for filtered coffee. A drip machine that has a coffee reservoir in the back is ideal so the water is heated to the correct temperature. Overall, this one of the best ways to brew coffee; it’s easy but also provides a great final product.
Espresso machines can be manual or automatic. It brews coffee by forcing pressurized water through the coffee handle (manual espresso machine) or threw the integrated coffee grinder (automatic espresso machine).
- This is the best way to make espresso. More specifically, manual espresso machines (the ones with a handle) are better than the automatic ones. While they take some practice to get right, the quality of the espresso is worth it.
- Automatic espresso machines are at higher risk of having a problem, which means money to fix it.
- Espresso machines require a specific grind. Machines with the grinder integrated into them are not a perfect solution; if something happens to the grinder, the machine is useless.
Verdict: Using an espresso machine with a handle is one of the best ways to get a great cup of coffee. Instead of getting a built in grinder, keep your coffee grinder separate. Alternatively, you can ask us at Aladdin to grind your coffee for you! We know all the settings, so you will get a perfect grind every time.